Blood cancer is a broad term for any cancer that starts in the blood and bone marrow. The most common types are leukemia, lymphoma, and myeloma. It can be difficult to diagnose because symptoms vary depending on which type it is. This blog post will explore the different types of blood cancers, what they do to your body and what options there are for cancer treatment in Mumbai.
What Are The Causes of Blood Cancer?
Blood cancer is a group of diseases in which malignant cells are produced and accumulate in the bone marrow. The most common types include lymphoma, leukemia, multiple myeloma, and myelodysplastic syndrome. Types of blood cancers can be divided into two main groups: acute (fast-growing) or chronic (slow growth). The most common causes of blood cancer include:
- Genetics – a family history of leukemia or multiple myeloma;
- Exposure to radiation, chemicals, and toxins that damage cellular DNA. The more intense the exposure, the greater the risk is;
- Autoimmune diseases such as lupus or rheumatoid arthritis with increased levels of antibodies.
- Viral infections, such as by human immunodeficiency (HIV) or hepatitis C;
- Immune suppression after organ transplantation;
- Age-related changes in bone marrow function
The research and development of new medical treatments have made it possible to cure blood cancer. The different types of cancer treatment in Mumbai available for patients include chemotherapy, targeted therapies, stem cell transplantation or bone marrow transplant, radiation therapy, etc.