South India reminds travelers of exquisite temples, beautiful coastal beaches, lush green tea, coffee, and spice plantations, and of course, delicious south Indian food items, of which the most famous are breakfast items and biryani. The southern part of India also has several scenic hill stations nestled in the Eastern and Western Ghat mountains. A trip to south India is a fascinating experience, which you should not miss out on during your India trip. So, what are the best places to visit in South India? We have listed here some of the best tourist attractions you must check out in the southern part of the country.
For an unforgettable experience of riding a houseboat along the serene backwaters of Kerala, book your flight tickets to Kochi from Los Angeles. After you reach the airport, take a direct bus from the airport to Alleppey. Nicknamed ‘Venice of the East’, Alleppey is full of refreshing sights – lush environs, winding waterways, palm-fringed beaches, and more.
- Best time to visit: November to February
- Top tourist attractions in Alleppey: Alappuzha Beach, Marari Beach, Alleppey Lighthouse, Ambalapuzha Sree Krishna Temple, Mullakkal Temple, Vembanad, St. Mary’s Forane Church, Krishnapuram Palace, International Coir Museum, etc.
- Nearest Airport: Cochin International Airport
Officially known as Udhagamandalam, Ooty is a beautiful hill station located in the Nilgiri Hills of Tamil Nadu. It is among the most beautiful places to visit in South India. The hill station is frequented by both honeymooners and families alike, especially during the summer season. Ooty boasts of a gorgeous landscape featuring misty valleys, botanical gardens, lush meadows, rushing waterfalls, sparkling lakes, and sprawling tea estates. This place is often referred to as the ‘Queen of the Hills’.
- Best Time to Visit: October to June
- Popular Tourist Attractions in Ooty: Doddabetta Peak, Ooty Botanical Garden, Ooty Lake, Rose Garden, Pykara Falls, Emerald Lake, Tea Museum, St. Stephen’s Church, Dolphin’s Nose, Tiger Hill, Mudumalai National Park, etc.
- Nearest Airport: Coimbatore International Airport
Located on the banks of the Tungabhadra River, Hampi is an age-old town that impresses tourists with its unique boulder formations and several historical monuments. Most of its heritage buildings are in ruins today, but they never fail to attract history and architecture enthusiasts. These ancient architectural marvels reveal the glorious history of the city during the Vijayanagara Empire. Did you know that Hampi was the second-largest city in the medieval era? Hampi has been recognized as a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- Best time to visit: October to February
- Top tourist attractions in Hampi: Sree Virupaksha Temple, Vijaya Vittala Temple, Yantrodharaka Hanuman Temple, Hazara Rama Temple, Stone Chariot, Lakshmi Narasimha Temple, Hazara Rama Temple, Matanga Hill, Queen’s Bath, Lotus Mahal, and Archeological Museum.
- Nearest airport: Bellary Airport (BEP)
One of the most popular places to visit in South India, Munnar is another dreamy destination known for its rolling hills, verdant tea plantations, and greenery everywhere. The lovely ambiance of Munnar makes it a perfect destination for honeymooners. This place is situated at an altitude of 6000 ft above sea level in the Western Ghats of Kerala. Thus, Munnar is also rich in wildlife. It also offers many opportunities for adventure. Thrill seekers can enjoy a variety of activities here including trekking, hiking, paragliding, etc.
- Best time to visit: December to February
- Top tourist attractions in Munnar: Echo Point, Anamudi Peak, Eravikulam National Park, Top Station, Tata Tea Museum, Kundala Lake, Attukad Waterfalls, Pothamedu View Point, Chinnar Wildlife Sanctuary, Carmelagiri Elephant Park, Top Station, etc.
- Nearest airport: Cochin International Airport
Puducherry, also called Pondicherry, is a Union Territory located on India’s Coromandel Coast. This town was a former French colony, and to witness the French influence on this place, head to White Town. Stroll along the tree-lined paths and marvel at the mustard-colored heritage buildings designed in the French style of architecture. Enjoy delicious snacks at one of the French bakeries in the area and then go exploring Pnducherry’s sunny beaches. Visit the popular Sri Aurobindo Ashram and take part in Yoga and meditation sessions.
If you are looking for a beach vacation with a unique twist, consider Puducherry, India. This former colony of France is known for its distinctive French architecture, cobblestone streets, and stunning beaches. While exploring the town, you can try local delicacies like masala poori and exotic French dishes. Of course, a visit to Puducherry would not be complete without a day spent at the beach.
- Best time to go: October to March
- Must-visit places in Puducherry: White Town, Aurobindo Ashram, Promenade Beach, Paradise Beach, Serenity Beach, Arikamedu, Manakula Vinayagar Temple, Pondicherry Lighthouse, and Basilica of the Sacred Heart of Jesus.
- Nearest Airport: Chennai International Airport (MAA)
Other popular places to visit in South India are Kodaikanal, Tirupati, Wayanad, Mahabalipuram, Gokarna, Araku Valley, Tanjore, Lepakshi, Rameshwaram, and Kanyakumari among others. Where are you planning your next trip? For cheap flight tickets to India from the USA, visit Indian Eagle. Apart from finding great deals, you can also earn reward points for your booking. So, why wait? Plan your holiday now!